Catch Up

The Gifts that keep giving…

For my birthday this year, I received gifts – gifts of imperfection.

They came  in the form of a book – Brene Brown’s “The Gifts Of Imperfection” from my friend Kay who had scribbled on the inside front cover a hurried disclaimer that I was ‘wonderfully imperfect’ and so forth. I thought initially that she was digging a rather large hole for herself especially when I read the intriguing subtitle ‘Let go of whom you think you are supposed to be and embrace whom you are’.

However this book introduced me to the brilliant researcher/academic Brene Brown and from that day on, as tends to happen, Brene Brown kept crossing my path in some form or another. I am now a committed fan.

Dr Brown’s is a “vulnerability researcher” and she speaks of authenticity, shame, empathy, courage, compassion and connection. Pretty much my favourite subjects. Her first Ted Talk (linked here) is one of the most watched on  Ted.com and I urge you to find 20 minutes, preferably with a glass of wine, hit the play button and enjoy.

Not that I want to be the spoiler – but it has a message that all will connect to.

It’s about the freedom of simply accepting who you are….you are enough.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “The Gifts that keep giving…”

1. Caroline
    November 10, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Thank you for sharing this gift Sandy. Was anxious that this weekend needed to be perfect including “getting everything done”. Having watched this talk, I will try to just cruise and enjoy being (imperfect) me.

2. christine
    November 10, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Thanks Sandy! Hadn’t seen this Ted and it’s great. Enjoying your blogging – keep going beautiful friend.

• sandy
      November 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

thanks gals, yes it really is a timeless message. When we truly are our authentic selves everything is a lot easier

3. Suzanne
    November 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Wonderful. I so enjoyed that, thank you! Having just been made redundant and looking for work for almost 2 months, reassurance so welcome.

• sandy
      November 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Strength to you my friend. i read a terrific book on transitions last year. It pretty much affirmed that often brutal “endings” like redundancy do lead to wonderful new beginnings but you have to go through a tedious “neutral zone” for awhile first. If you email me at the contact address above i can send you the book review I wrote.
      I love this quote “Not in his goals but in his transitions man is great” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. Sandra
    November 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks Sandy for this amazing blog and link to Brene’s delivery. Inspirational.

• sandy
      November 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Yes one of my faves. Get’s everyone, this speech.